Mounting a 4.5R FS during 5.2.1 installation

Charles Bacon crtb at cape.com
Sat Mar 13 07:56:36 PST 2004

Situation: An old remotherboarded PC, Tomato, has an old 4.5R
on a 20GB disk.  I also have an unused 2940 SCSI controller and
a 2GB SCSI disk.  On my LAN there's another old remoboed box,
Daisy, with a functioning CD.

I tried NFS-mounting it during the 5.2.1R installation ceremony.
NG (Operation not permitted).

Tried copying the CD onto Tomato's 4.5 system, then mounting
/cdrom1 as /xmnt.  Again, Operation not Permitted.

Finally, moved the good CD drive from Daisy to Tomato.  Bingo.
Installation went fine until inodes exhausted.  But kernel was
never installed!  It gets done after everything else!

Problem: no info why "Operation not permitted".  Finally found
that fsck was needed on the 40GB (although nothing was wrong).

BIG PROBLEM:  Is there a safe way to mount a 4.5 FS onto 5.2.1?
It seemed to work OK, but later, booting the 4.5 system, fsck
complained bigtime.  Trashed boot block, so used the one at 32.

For a while I'd like to be able to dual-boot 4.5 and 5.2.1, before
committing my 40GB disk to 5.x.  Suggestions?

AND THANKS FOR RESPONSES I'VE GOTTEN IN THE PAST!

	Chuck Bacon -- crtb at cape.com
		ABHOR SECRECY -- DEFEND PRIVACY