resizing partitions in the same slice

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Mar 13 07:12:15 PST 2004

Eugene Lee wrote:
[ ... ]
> I'm a little surprised.  I would think that resizing partitions is a
> common request, that the idea of growing one partition while shrinking
> another is not a new or rare notion.  Can anyone else share their views
> or experiences?  The list archives contain few comments on the subject.

Resizing partitions is a common request.  FreeBSD has some support for RAID-0
capabilities, ie concatenation which let one grow a volume or filesystem, but
the problem of shrinking an existing partition with data on it is much harder.

That is something that one really wants a backup for, in which case one can
take a backup, repartition, and restore your data.

> BTW, some places have recommended commercial solution like Norton Ghost
> or Partition Magic.  Do these products work on FreeBSD's UFS format and
> grok partitions-in-a-slice?

Sorry, I believe the answer is no.

--
-Chuck