resizing partitions in the same slice

Mark Ovens mark at ukug.uk.freebsd.org
Fri Mar 12 16:29:12 PST 2004

>> BTW, some places have recommended commercial solution like Norton Ghost
>> or Partition Magic.  Do these products work on FreeBSD's UFS format and
>> grok partitions-in-a-slice?
>
> Partition Magic only manipulates slices and does not know anything
> about partitions within slices - especially FreeBSD partitions.
> I would guess that Norton is the same because it is made for Microsloth
> environments.   UFS wouldn't have anything to do with it - that comes
> later with newfs.

Ghost and, IIRC, Drive Image (the Ghost equivalent from the makers of
Partition Magic) will handle unidentified (i.e. UFS) partitions, but
only as a sector by sector copy, so you can't take advantage of those
products ability to scale up/down the partition (MS definition) sizes
when migrating to a bigger/smaller disk.