ntpd question

Joshua Lokken joshua at twobirds.us
Fri Mar 12 09:08:54 PST 2004

* Shaun T. Erickson <ste at ste-land.com> [2004-03-12 08:27]:
> Matthew Seaman wrote:
>
> >Unfortuately if you're going to run ntpd, you can't get rid of these:
> >ntpd(8) will automatically bind to all interfaces on the system, and
> >there are no controls within ntpd to control that.
>
> Darn. Thanks for the suggestions! I was already controlling access to
> the port with my ipfilter firewall, and will continue to do so. I just
> believe in not letting anything bind to a port, that isn't required to.

If you're just keeping one machine's clock in sync,
you could try using ntpdate rather than ntpd.

--
Joshua

"It's hard to believe that something which is neither seen nor felt can
do so much harm."

"That's true.  But an idea can't be seen or felt.  And that's what kept
the Troglytes in the mines all these centuries.  A mistaken idea."
		-- Vanna and Kirk, "The Cloud Minders", stardate 5819.0