Strange network behavior

Dragoncrest dragoncrest at voyager.net
Fri Mar 12 08:34:48 PST 2004

	Hi again all.  Ok, I'm slowly starting to nail down my problems with slow
dns through some research and I think I may have found part of the cause
through something I encountered with my network.  When doing transfers
between machines, sometimes I'm able to do a full 100mbps between machines,
other times it crawls at 10-20mbps between machines at most.  If I simply
do the command "ifconfig" at the console, suddenly I rush back to 100mbps
transfer rates and all my networking woes (dns, file transfers, web
browsing, etc) go away for a while only to come back again later.  I'm
obviously missing something here, but once again I'm unsure of where to
look for the answers.  Can anyone provide some insight into why this may be
happening?  Much appreciated.  Oh, PS, this same behavior is happening on 3
different machines in two different locations with entirely different
hardware between the three.  None of them has anything in common.  Two of
the machines are running Freebsd 4.9 and one is running 4.8 just FYI.  :)