Unable to mount .iso image using md(4)

Wayne Sierke ws+freebsd-questions at au.dyndns.ws
Thu Mar 11 22:20:16 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 02:41, Wayne Sierke wrote:
> I don't seem to be able to mount any .iso images on 5.2-RELEASE:
>
> # mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /root/tomsrtbt_1_7_361.iso
> md0
> # mount_cd9660 /dev/md0 /mnt
> mount_cd9660: /dev/md0: Invalid argument
> # mdconfig -l
> md0
> #
>
> I get the same result on two different systems (both 5.2-RELEASE but not
> identical installations, one is my server, the other a workstation).
> I've tried a few .iso images, including the one used to burn the
> 5.2-RELEASE CD that these systems were installed from.
>
> I couldn't locate any bug reports, are there any know issues? Anything
> else I can check/try?

It occurred to me that the files aren't actually the originals since
they've since been copied over to a new drive, but the MD5 checksum
verifies, so the images appear to be fine.

I don't know where to go from here. I had no problems using vnconfig
under 4.8, and as far as I can see I'm following the examples of using
mdconfig to mount .iso images correctly so I'm still very curious as to
whether this is "user error" or something else?

Mounting cd9660 filesystems (from CD-ROM) works so it wouldn't appear to
be a problem at that level.

In some examples I've seen, the output of mdconfig -l for something
configured as type vnode is shown as being something like "md0 vnode",
suggesting that the mdconfig itself is perhaps failing somehow, but I'm
clueless as to what that failure might be, short of being a bug?