Pernicious problem with vfork / qmail / qmail-scanner

Gary gv-list-freebsdquestions at mygirlfriday.info
Thu Mar 11 20:25:23 PST 2004

Hi KSC,

--On Thursday, March 11, 2004 11:10:30 PM -0500 "Justin Baugh, KSC"
<baughj at discordians.net> wrote:

> This machine has 2 gigabytes of RAM and 4 gigabytes of swap. I would have
> to run several hundred simultaneous processes to even get close to that
> limit. Even when the problem is occuring I have about 1400mb of inactive
> RAM and I have had no swap usage. In the past I ran 10, 15, 20 deliveries
> concurrently on smaller footprints with no problems, albeit under 4.x.

yes, you could easily handle over 1 million emails a day with your nice
setup.

> Even assuming every mail delivery took up 50mb (we'll take some kind of
> ridiculous worst case, it's more like 8-12mb), I would think I'd still be
> able to have at least 20 concurrent deliveries since there are no
> ulimits, right?

Right, I agree 100%.. Combined this with the fact that you mentioned
that you never had any problems with v4.x, I tend to think there is
something with v5.x. I have several servers running v4.x and
qmail-scanner, with f-prot, without problems.. I just wish I had
something else to offer, but cannot think of anything else at the moment.

--
Gary