5.2 upgrade and Exim delivery

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Mar 11 14:46:18 PST 2004

joshua lokken wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am working on becoming familiar with FreeBSD 5.x after using 4.x for
> the past few years.
> The machine in question is a web and mail server; I originally
> installed 5.1 from the mini iso,
> then upgraded to RELENG_5_2 last weekend.  The upgrade went without
> problems, as it
> always has...and i did not change anything in Exim's configuration,
> but now
>
> Exim no longer starts on system startup.  In /etc/rc.conf, I have:
>
> sendmail_enable="NONE"
> exim_enable="YES"
>
> And the lines in /etc/mail/mailer.conf are changed from sendmail to
> exim binary paths.

<snipped>

> ls /var/spool/clientmqueue shows messages in form:  qfi2FB8SYT048073
> ls /var/spool/exim/msglog shows messages in form:    1B11Vc-0000cm-S4
>
> So, I'm wondering,
>
> a) what went wrong during the upgrade?

Can't say for sure.  It's looks a lot like sendmail
is handling your incoming SMTP, though; that's
sendmail's message ID type you've listed there.

It might be wise to instruct FBSD not build sendmail
at all; IIRC (but do some checking) that would be
NO_SENDMAIL="true" (I mean, really do some checking...)
in /etc/make.conf

> b) how do I get my messages into the appropriate spool / delivered?

Have you tried starting Exim?  I guess that
is where the error messages are coming from...

What does the Exim FAQ say?

> Thanks, and until I get this sorted out, please cc me, as my list
> address mail is.....
>

> Joshua Lokken

KDK