Need Info?

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Mar 11 14:07:23 PST 2004

DeAtH KnIgHt wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Ive noticed that there are different iso images within the ftp servers and
>i need to know which one do i actually need within these ftp servers?
>is there a difference between these different files? how do i install freebsd?

Generally for each RELEASE, there is a "mini"
ISO, and a multiple disc set that includes enough
stuff to get up with X and about a zillion ports.
(Well, OK, that's an exaggeration, but....)

I don't know much about the "bootonly" ISO.
If you want to set up a bunch of Desktop
machines with 5.2.1, for example, and have
bandwidth to burn, the 2 CD set would do it.

The "mini" CD should be enough to get
going at the CLI; perhaps you'd say a
"skeleton" install: /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin,
/, /stand, /etc, /var, and the crypto and contrib*
parts of the base distrubution. No docs, no
source code, no ports tree. Just a classic
Unix-like environment, from which you can,
with a 'Net connection, build whatever you
want (just about....)

As for me, I've never dl'ed an ISO; I just
grab "two freshly formatted floppies
and these instructions" as noted on the
index page of www.freebsd.org, used
/stand/sysinstall to install cvsup-no-gui
as a package, and then cvsup'd /usr/src,
/usr/ports, and do the buildworld/kernel
cycle and then build ports. Some people
prefer to use packages instead ....

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.

*Yeah, I probably left something out, but
hey, why overwhelm anybody? :-)