Problems with atacontrol and Hightpoint 730 raid Hardware. 5.2 release.

Alberto (WarfoX) De Boni warfox at neobe.it
Thu Mar 11 03:42:38 PST 2004

Hi all,
    i'm experiencing some problems with FreeBsd 5.2 and an Highpoint
raid controller (but it happens also with a promise Fasttrack TX2).
I'm pretty sure it's my failure, but i can't understand what i miss.
I'm doing this test on 5.x because i plan to migrate from 4.x to new
release as soon as it'll released as a production platform, so i need as
much informations as i can.

I've done a lot of test:
1- the first test was done creating a RAID 1 array directly from HPT Bios.
I've two devices ad4 and ad6 and a raid one ar0 as i expect.

ATA channel 2:
    Master:  ad4 <Maxtor 6Y080L0/YAR41BW0> ATA/ATAPI rev 7
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 3:
    Master:  ad6 <Maxtor 6Y080L0/YAR41BW0> ATA/ATAPI rev 7
    Slave:       no device present

arc# atacontrol status ar0
ar0: ATA RAID1 subdisks: ad4 ad6 status: READY

I've installed *BSD successfully without any flaws, rebooted, and all
was working fine. Then i tried a failure problem on ad4, i've simulated
it detaching the ata channel: atacontrol detach 2. And i've got a
degraded array (that's fine).

arc# atacontrol status ar0
ar0: ATA RAID1 subdisks: DOWN ad6 status: DEGRADED

Then i detach physically the drive replacing it with a new one (supposed
the procedure to substitute a failure HDD).Attached it to channel 2.

arc# atacontrol attach 2
Master:  ad4 <Maxtor 6Y080L0/YAR41BW0> ATA/ATAPI rev 7
Slave:       no device present

and then looking at the raid status:

arc# atacontrol status ar0
ar0: ATA RAID1 subdisks: DOWN ad6 status: DEGRADED

All as it was planned. Now i've tried to rebuild the raid, and here we
are with problems:

arc# atacontrol rebuild ar0
arc#
arc#
arc# atacontrol status ar0
ar0: ATA RAID1 subdisks: DOWN ad6 status: DEGRADED

The rebuild command quits immediatly rebuilding almost nothing. And the
raid was still in degraded mode.
Ok. Pherhaps i made a mistake attaching the drive and not attaching a
spare drive. To avoid any problem i've reinstalled all from scrath and
execute all the operations except the atacontrol attach.
Then.. manpages for atacontrol reports:

     atacontrol addspare raid disk

So, it was supposed to add the channel and then add disk to raid:

new disk as master

arc# atacontrol attach 2
Master:  ad4 <Maxtor 6Y080L0/YAR41BW0> ATA/ATAPI rev 7present
Slave:      no device
arc# atacontrol addspare ar0 ad4
atacontrol: ioctl(ATARAIDADDSPARE): Device busy

and as slave.

arc# atacontrol attach 2
Master:      no device present
Slave:   ad5 <Maxtor 6Y080L0/YAR41BW0> ATA/ATAPI rev 7
arc# atacontrol addspare ar0 ad5
atacontrol: ioctl(ATARAIDADDSPARE): Device busy

So... what the hell i've got to do to rebuild the array???
Obviously when i reboot, HPT Bios ask for replacing failure drive, and
ask for rebuild... blocking the machine for more than 40 minutes... and
this is not acceptable for me.

The hardware is a KD7 RAID with Highpoint 730 controller, Duron 1600.
Two 80 Gb Maxtor 7200 Rpm 8 Mb.

Any Idea?
    Thanks in advance.