tty-level buffer overflows

webmaster webmaster at semprini.org
Wed Mar 10 13:23:37 PST 2004

	I've been searching for an answer to this for a while now.  My freebsd box
(4.9-RELEASE + Custom Kernel) runs ppp just fine (ppp -ddial from rc.conf)
and I have no problems connecting.  The problem I have is that after a
while my connection will hang, but not disconnect, and I have a ton of
sio4: ### tty-level buffer overflow messages in dmesg.today and
dmesg.yesterday.  my modem (3com pci faxmodem) is found to be on sio0 at
boot and is moved to sio4:

sio0: <3COM PCI FaxModem> port 0xfff0-0xfff7 irq 9 at device 15.0 on pci0
sio0: moving to sio4
sio4: type 16550A
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
sio1: type 16550A

	The modem is a hardware modem, thats the only reason I bought a pci modem
in the first place (that and it was much cheaper than my normal isa pick).
Anyhow, I have a feeling that the overflows are directly related to the
hangup and viceversa but I still haven't found out how to fix it.  I get no
errors in the ppp.log, I have no trouble doing much of anything, though if
I use an ftp client to download/upload something I will get my connection
to hang much faster than if I was just doing the normal web/irc/email thing
(and sometimes downloading from the web causes it to hang, sometimes it
doesn't).

	One of the few things that I found and thought would work was from 1997,
and it didn't apply to my current install (I tried, the kernel complained),
I've seen plenty of things about people changing gettytab and ttys and
ttyd0 and cuaia0, but those mainly applied to actual userppp problems.

Help?

http://www.lik-sang.com/default.php?lsaid=166534 - Video Games & Accessories