natd + ipfw - very slow internet for LAN users

Prodigy prodigy at punktas.lt
Wed Mar 10 09:32:22 PST 2004

> Ping to an ip address does not use DNS.
> What is response time when you use ping domain name?
It's ~250ms for google.com and other domains (good enough too).

> I see you have forced ip address for your nic card connected to the
> public internet by using rc.conf statement.
> This looks wrong to me.
What's wrong with it? Can u give me other solutions? But anyway, with ipf +
ipnat the internet speed is OK.

> Explain in detail how you connection to your ISP and the layout of
> your private network.
Our ISP gave us ip and gateway, thats how we connect to internet (over dsl
modem threw lan card).
Some computers are connected in LAN via SWITCH. My router is connected to
that switch too. Lan users have configured their OS, that gateway is
192.168.0.1 (my router's LAN ip address).