Using int 13 while BSD is running

Jason Dictos jason.dictos at yosemitetech.com
Wed Mar 10 08:46:11 PST 2004

> To Jason: take care not to *write* anything to the disk via int 13h.
> I still don't think I understand why you are using FreeBSD for this
specific purpose. Why if you just >spend time escaping from the OS?

We actually _like_ protected mode, it allows us to be more flexible and our
code doesn't have to be bastardized with 16 dos compilers ;). However in dos
we have garanteed hard drive support via int13 (Well almost garanteed, but
if an os can boot of the computer, we can access the disk), and I'm looking
for the same sorta garantee in BSD. People will be using this with raid
controllers, scsi hard disks, and ide drives (Server recovery), so there
will be many times when the hardware running the hd requires specific
support, which BSD may or may not have, point is we dont' want to manage
that.

Make sense?

-Jason