Firewall & DSL performance

Darryl Hoar darryl at osborne-ind.com
Wed Mar 10 06:57:15 PST 2004

I didn't mean to imply that ipfilter itself had a
performance problem, just that my configuration/hardware
exhibited a performance problem once my DSL was boosted
to 1.5Mb.

There is a box on the side of my house that the fiber
is connected to.  It has a network port for testing.
The tech connected his notebook to this port and
saw 1.5Mb performance.  There is a cat 5 run from this
external box to my office in my basement.  There is a jack
on the end of this run.  The tech connected to this jack
and saw roughly 1.48Mb performance.

Since both cards in the firewall are 3com 10Mb cards, they
won't show 100Mb.  When I did an ifconfig -a I see them
represented as 10Mb/UTP.  I did not see any reference to
the duplex mode (half or full).  I will examine this to
see if it is somehow running in half duplex mode when
plugged into my DSL link.

>From the command line on my firewall, if I ftp down a file,
how do I figure the Mbps ?

thanks,