problems with soundcards in 4.9

Jonas Sonntag jonas.sonntag at jbhosting.de
Tue Mar 9 11:38:46 PST 2004

hi questions list

i'm running 4.9-release on a sony grx516md notebook. everything went fine
except that i cannot get the soundcards working properly.

i have an onboard soundcard:
pcm0: <Intel ICH3 (82801CA)> port 0x18c0-0x18ff,0x1c00-0x1cff irq 9 at device
31.5 on pci0
pcm0: <Yamaha YMF753 AC97 Codec>
which never used to work very good with any os other than windows..
i tried to run various 5.x, allways resulting in a kernel panic on boot (tried
with and without acpi). the bad thing about this notebook is you cannot set
anything besides the system clock in the bios.. i think that's what is
causing the problems. when i'm adding option PNPBIOS to my 4.9 kernel i get
the same result: kernel panic on boot.
at the moment the internal soundcard only plays when i'm moving my usb mouse
(sounds strange but that's how it is: move the mouse: sound plays - stop the
mouse: sound stops).

so i finally decided to get another soundcard for my notebook and i found a
really nice thing which happens to have a lot of other features besides
playing mp3's. it's a:
uhid0: Hercules Hercules DJ Console, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2, iclass 3/0
ums1: Hercules Hercules DJ Console, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2, iclass 3/0
ums1: 2 buttons
uhid1: Hercules Hercules DJ Console, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2, iclass 3/0
uaudio0: audio rev 1.00
pcm1: <USB Audio> on uaudio0

so i have the internal ac97 card as pcm0 and the external usb card as pcm1. i
followed the steps in the handbook and created the device nodes. so far
everything went ok, but now i can't get anything out of /dev/dsp1. kde's arts
sound system says 'Operation not supported by device' the first time i'm
trying to use it and 'Device is busy' the next try, although fstat |grep dsp
shows up nothing.

i'm pretty stuck now, google turns up a lot of stuff but the usefull stuff is
turn on PNPBIOS in kernel which results in a panic :/

i'd really like to use that external thing without having to run windows in a
vmware session, so any hints would be appreciated.

thanks and best regards
jonas