Moving SSH port off of port 22

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Tue Mar 9 11:08:09 PST 2004

At 9:01 AM -1000 3/9/04, Jason Halbert wrote:
>Hello All:
>
>I need some help moving SSH off of port 22, preferably onto
>port 23 and disabling telnet.  Can I do this just by changing
>something in /etc/services or by means of a firewall?

You change the configuration for sshd in /etc/ssh/sshd_config,
un-commenting and changing the line that says '#Port 22'.  You
will probably find that you also want to change ~/.ssh/config
files (on other hosts) to add an entry for the host where you
are running sshd on port 23.

You should not change /etc/services for this.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu