Update utility

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue Mar 9 05:23:19 PST 2004

On Mar 9, 2004, at 12:57 AM, Steve Ireland wrote:
> Below is from a post to security at . It sounds like what you're looking
> for. I haven't tested it yet, but it my list of things to look into.

I glanced over the site (http://www.roq.com/projects/quickpatch/) and
it's saying that if I run that sequence of commands, then the next day
I'd just have one script to run and that would patch the system for me
and have everything up to date?

Anyone using QuickPatch, and have some experiences to share with using
it?

The system I am currently using is portupgrade (update the ports tree
via cvsup; portupgrade everything).  Does anyone know if QuickPatch
checks your current versions of software so you don't get a patch for
software that's already been updated/altered?

Someone else mentioned freebsd-update.  I haven't looked at that
yet...is it just for binary updates, or system-wide, or...?

I guess what would really help (especially for newer users) is a
reference or howto with definitive steps on how to do this, as in a
step by step guide or script on how to keep your system up to date
after a fresh install and keeping it up to date thereafter...does this
exist somewhere?  The documentation I've found seems fragmented between
binary installs and source installs and port updates versus OS updates
and...sorry, just gets confusing sometimes :-)