DHCP issue with comcast (FreeBSD router).

Steve Ireland stevei at black-star.net
Mon Mar 8 22:13:38 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Boothman" <andrew at mux.org.uk>
To: "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk at daleco.biz>
Cc: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>; "Richard Uhlman"
<ruhlman at comcast.net>
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 20:25
Subject: Re: DHCP issue with comcast (FreeBSD router).

> Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
> > Richard Uhlman wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am new to using FreeBSD, and I am trying to use a FreeBSD box as
> >> firewall/router.  I am trying to get the router working correctly
first.
> >> My issue is that my box will not receive an IP address from Comcast
when
> >> the dhclient starts.  I commented out all of the firewall commands
in my
> >> rc.conf file, but left the ifconfig_ep0="DHCP".  The machine is
running
> >> 2 NIC's and I have verified that the correct one has the cable
plugged
> >> into it.  I am running release 5.2.1.
> >
> > No expert answer, just more questions.
> > Maybe they'll help?
>
> Here's another possibility:
>
> My cable company (in the UK) requires customers to register the MAC
> (ethernet) address of your NIC before you're able to get an IP from
them
> using DHCP.
>
> Don't know if comcast is the same, but it's a possibility.
>
> Andrew

Hello,

I believe Andrew may be correct. The company I work for had a customer
using a Comcast business account that had to jump thru hoops to get
everything working properly. One of the things was, IIRC, registering
the MAC. I also remember Comcast insisted on firewalling the IP space
themselves. The customer had to call Comcast to open not only outbound
ports but _inbound_ ports, as well! Of course, Comcast charged a setup
fee for this "service" AND a monthly "maintenance" fee.

Hope this isn't the case for you,

Steve