Wierd time changes

Mark Ovens mark at ukug.uk.freebsd.org
Mon Mar 8 14:19:19 PST 2004

Denis R. wrote:
> Hi Mark and list members,
>
> I am experiencing the same problem on my dual PII-450 SP700 Compaq Pro
> workstation. After poking around on Google, it is pointing to the FreeBSD
> and a i8254 programmable interupt timer. In my case the time is lagging
> behind 10 times! What does your:
> #time sleep 10
> show?

redshift# time sleep 10
0.000u 0.001s 0:10.00 0.0%      0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w
redshift#

The clock maintains the correct time whilst FreeBSD is running, it just
suddenly changes, at least somewhere "inside" FreeBSD, during shutdown
but doesn't screw the system clock until the next reboot, and even after
that it maintains consistent, but incorrect, time; i.e. it doesn't gain
or lose at a steady rate.

Regards,

Mark