OT: transcode, ffmpeg, mencoder

Brian Henning b1henning at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 8 14:01:36 PST 2004

Greetings:
I have a digital camera (Kodac) that creates quicktime videos. I would like to
convert them into mpeg-1 files so that I can make vcd's. The mov files contain
both video and audio.
I have tried using mencoder, but it doesn't seem to work. here is what I have
tried so far.

#convert a quicktime file into an mpg
mencoder -of mpeg -o example.mpg -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg1video example.mov
mencoder -of mpeg -o example.mpg -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video
example.mov
mencoder -of mpeg -o example.mpg -oac pcm -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video
example.mov
mencoder -of mpeg -o example.mpg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video -oac copy
example.mov

I am able to get the video, on some of these, but never the audio.

I can't seem to get transcode to work either.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian