E-Mail Gateway

Wright, Greg wrightg at bcrail.com
Mon Mar 8 08:25:36 PST 2004

I would like to use FreeBSD (4.9) as the platform on which to run an
secure e-mail gateway.  At least that is what I think I would like to
do.  The reason for FreeBSD is that I much more familiar with it than
other "free" Unix like operating systems.  I have worked with DEC
Ultrix, Digital Unix and AIX in the past so have some knowledge of Unix.

But the real goal is to put some sort of secure mail server/forwarder
between my internal MS Exchange system and the Internet.  I don't want
to connect Exchange directly to the Internet if at all possible.

What I'm looking for are recommendations for "free" SMTP servers that I
can use for this purpose.  I would like to include basic anti-virus and
SPAM control as well.  Unfortunately, I have no money (other than my
time) to do this project so am looking at minimal cost products.

Any suggestions for e-mail gateways.  I've looked at postfix and qmail
but am not sure that they are appropriate.  I could use the built in
sendmail, but worry about security.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Greg Wright
BC Rail

*** Disclaimer ***
The information in this Email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the named recipient.  Access to this Email by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the recipient named, please note that any use, disclosure, copying, distribution of this Email or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please inform us by returning a copy of the Email with the subject line marked "wrong address" and then deleting the Email, and any attachments and any copies of it.