Simplifying FreeBSD Installation

Marc Silver MarcS at discovery.co.za
Mon Mar 8 06:38:33 PST 2004

Hi there,

I understand what you're getting at, but I think that you may be overlooking
one important fact:  FreeBSD is developed by people with a passion for the
operating system, who want nothing more than to make it the best they can.
They volunteer their time to the project, foregoing financial renumeration
and accolades, simply because they see potential in a project grown from the
ground up by people who love it.

You compare FreeBSD to Microsoft, but they're fundamentally different
operating systems.  I agree with you that perhaps the installation procedure
should be more user friendly, but there are other areas where FreeBSD is
MUCH stronger than Windows.  I have yet to see a Windows machine outperform
any of my FreeBSD servers under load...

That said, if you believe that FreeBSD needs work, why not get involved and
help to make it better?  I have no doubt that there are other people
interested in improving the same areas as you, so why not lend a hand and
improve FreeBSD, so that everyone can benefit?  :)

That's _my_ 2c,
Marc