Simplifying FreeBSD Installation

Gerard Seibert gerard-seibert at rcn.com
Mon Mar 8 05:05:17 PST 2004

I have read a few posting regarding the FreeBSD installation procedure. I
thought that I might as well weigh in with my own comments since I am
fairly new to FreBSD, although I have been using computers since 1984
(good old DOS).

1) The installation procedure is not as polished as say that of
WinXP, but that is to be expected. It has been pointed out by others that
while the routine does offer many useful configuration options, it fail to
fully explain them to the user. The often-stated remark "Read the
Directions" or words to that effect are not truly germane to this issue.
The average user simply wants to plunk a disc into his computer and
install an OS with minimum input.

2) While network support is robust, it is not easily configured
within the OS. There are few if any "wizards" to guide the user. I have a
simple home networking system. Three computers - 2 = WinXP & 1 = FreeBSD
5.2.1 - up and running. They are connected via a hub and then to a router
connected to a cable modem. It is not the most modern setup I agree, but
it is functional. Just to get FreeBSD to do a correct DHCP took a custom
script for the dhclient.conf file that someone was kind enough to give me.
Then getting the three computers to actually network together is another
story. Say what you want about networking, but since MS is the most used
OS available today, it would behoove FreeBSD to have in place a system to
routinely network with MS and not have to install additional software and
then be forced to reconfigure all of the computers to work with it. I can
attest to the fact that most individuals do not have the time or
inclination to go about that chore.

3) From what I have been able to deduce, the packages available from
FreeBSD are not as current as the ports collection. Downloading something
like Open Office or the complete KDE 3.2 suite and then installing it from
ports is not something most users would envy. It is a time consuming and
possible tedious venture. The packages should be kept as current as the
ports.

4) The installation procedure should offer the user a method of
starting KDE, Gnome or whatever automatically upon boot-up. Having to do
it all manually, whether adding the commands to the proper files or simply
using the command line is not good enough. The average user has little
time or patience to read through the XFree86 literature in addition to the
KDE or Gnome paraphernalia then go through the configuration process which
requires him/her to know specific monitor, and video card settings, etc to
get the system up and running. This does not even include the additional
effort of getting a 'wheel mouse' or 'optical mouse' properly configured.
As we are all too well aware of, such problems rarely occur in the
Microsoft OS. In any case, at least the latest versions.

5) Most non-Microsoft operating systems are three to five years, if
not more, behind in PNP technology. It is something that all non Microsoft
OS vendors should place greater effort on improving.

6) Greater effort should be put into getting the operating systems
more fully aware of various ACPI procedures used by various vendors. I
have seen when FreeBSD fails to use ACPI on several models of Compaq
computers even though MS has no such deficiency. The often-stated remark
that MS is simply working around a bug in the code is a cop-out by the
developers. If MS can work around a bug, so can other vendors.

7) The bottom line is that if FreeBSD or any other OS vendor wants to
become truly mainline, they have to get their products to work on the same
platform and perform as easily as Microsoft's operating system does. Once
they have reached that plateau, they can then proceed to improving on
their overall product features and usability.

Well that is enough of my ramblings. I just though that I might add my 2
cents to the mix.

Gerard Seibert
gerard-seibert at rcn.com