Java installation: pdmu not found

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 02:13:17 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 08:31:23AM +0100, Sven Hohage wrote:
> I'm a newbie using FreeBSD  - almost using 5.2 for some days as a server
> in my homelan(Pentium 3 700).
> So I'm not sure if my question is more likely to be thrown in the
> Newbies list.
>
> I tried to install the linux-sun-jdk14.
> Before that I updated the port because I couldn't find 1.4.2_02 on the
> sun website which was neeced by the distfinfo checksum.
> I made a portupgrade -a and the started as root with make install but
> the compilation process stopped very quickly with:
> cd /usr/ports/java/linux-sun-jdk14/work/j2sdk1.4.2_03 && /usr/bin/find .
> -print  |  -pdmu -R root:wheel /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.2
> -pdmu: not found
> *** Error code 127
>
> Any hint is very welcomed.

You've updated just the java/linux-sun-jdk14 port, but not the common
code in /usr/ports/Mk that it relies upon.  The problem you're seeing
is a missing definition of the $(CPIO) variable that was added to the
bsd.port.mk file.

Attempting to update the ports tree piecemeal as you are doing is
unlikely to be very productive: as well as problems with the core
build system you'll also run into troubles where dependencies have
been updated -- particularly shared libraries.

The most effective way of keeping up to date is to cvsup the *whole*
ports tree -- doing this regularly: say once a week, will not overtax
even a low bandwidth connection such as a POTS dialup, although
pulling down the distfiles for updated ports can be another matter.

The easiest way to get going with cvsup is:

    # pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui

Then edit /etc/make.conf to set the following variables:

    SUP_UPDATE=     yes
    #
    SUP=            /usr/local/bin/cvsup
    SUPFLAGS=       -g -L 2
    SUPHOST=        cvsup.XX.FreeBSD.org
    #SUPFILE=        /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
    PORTSSUPFILE=   /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
    #DOCSUPFILE=     /usr/share/examples/cvsup/doc-supfile

where the SUPHOST setting should be set to your local cvsup mirror.
I've shown entries for cvsup'ing src and docs commented out, but you
can use those as well, if you want.

Then whenever you want to update your ports tree, just do:

    # cd /usr/ports
    # make update
    # make index

and then portupgrade(1) to your heart's content.

One (entirely optional) tip that can save you some bandwidth is to
tell cvsup not to update the files INDEX (used on 4.x) and INDEX-5
(which 'make index' will replace anyhow).  Do that by adding the
lines:

    ports/INDEX
    ports/INDEX-5

to the /usr/sup/refuse file -- just create one if it doesn't exist already.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way