MAKEDEV question

Stephen Liu satimis at icare.com.hk
Sun Mar 7 22:17:42 PST 2004

- snip -
> > # grep ppc0 /var/run/dmesg.boot
> > ppc0 port 0x778-0x77b,0x378-0x37f irq 7 drq 3 on acpi0
> > ppc0: SMC-like chipset (ECP/EPP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
> > ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/7 bytes threshold
> > ppbus0: <Parallel port bus> on ppc0
> >
> > I suppose lpt0 is supported.
>
> If your kernel detects it it will be listed in the dmesg:
>
> lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
> lpt0: Interrupt-driven port

Hi Kris,

Turned on printer to make following tests

# dmesg
ppbus0: <HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 690C> MLC,PCL,PML
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0

ls -l /dev/lpt0
crw-------  1 root  wheel   16,   0 Mar  8 22:48 /dev/lpt0

It is there.

I skipped following steps

1)
# ./MAKEDEV port

and
2)
# lptcontrol -i -d /dev/lpt0
(to set interrupt-driven mode for lpt0)

and
3)
# lptcontrol -p -d /dev/lpt0
(to set polled-mode for lptN)

Jumped to;
# lptest > /dev/lpt0
only strange symbols printed and printing continued without stop until I
removed the paper tray.  Communication between printer and port seemed
working

Kindly advise how to fix the test printing error.

TIA

B.R.
Stephen