postfix MTA questions

Gary gv-list-freebsdquestions at mygirlfriday.info
Sun Mar 7 20:20:04 PST 2004

Hi Dave,

--On Sunday, March 07, 2004 11:02:53 PM -0500 dave
<dmehler26 at woh.rr.com> wrote:

>     I'm using postfix and i've got two questions regarding it. Firstly,
> i'd like to implement maildir style mailboxes for users. I want a pop
> server that will understand maildir, will qpopper do this or will i have
> to look at another? I'd like to avoid running services from inetd if
> possible.

qpoper will not work with Maildir format.. another popserver to use
that will work with either mbox or Maildir format is solidpop
http://solidpop3d.pld.org.pl/

> I'm also wondering if there's a program that will take an incoming
> message, and send back an autoresponse asking for confirmation
> before delivery? If a confirmation is sent, the message is not spam,
> and is sent through, if no confirmation is forthcoming within a time
> frame or if the domain bounces the message both the original message
> and any domain bounces are perged without me seeing them.

Yes, a very popular one (challenge/auth mechanism) is TMDA, can be
used with any MTA. It is very flexible, and does a good job.

http://tmda.net/

  Finally, I've got a domain on a dynamic IP, i'd like to relay through
> my isp's smtp server as a smarthost, if i do this will my outgoing domain
> name be altered?

Unknown if your ISP's SMTP server does headers rewrites. You would
have to ask or test it to find out.

--
Gary