Building Packages - Links to Tutorials?

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Sun Mar 7 13:12:40 PST 2004

Sean Ellis told a big fish story including the following on 3/6/2004
12:51 PM:

>On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 01:34:20PM -0800, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>

>>I have a "faster" machine that I'd like to use to build packages and
>>then install those packages on my "slower" machine.  I'm looking for
>>links to info describing this process and some best practices.  I'm
>>familiar with using portupgrade to build and install ports.  I've read
>>the portupgrade man pages and see options to build and install packages
>>but am not understanding how to put it all together.
>>

>Check this out.
>
>http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/07/FreeBSD_Basics.html
>
>.. under "Making a Package Repository".

Thanks, that helps.  Now, is there any way to make a package without
installing it?  For example, on my build machine I have the full version
of bacula installed.  However, I'd like to make a package that is built
with the "CLIENT_ONLY=YES" option.  So do I really have to build and
install it "wrong" on the build machine and then rebuild and install it
"right" just to get the package I want to install on another machine?
Seem like there would be a better way.

Thanks,

Drew