Where is 4.9-STABLE?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Mar 7 10:54:24 PST 2004

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 12:08:22PM +0000, Mark wrote:

> Yeah; but it's the upgrade I'm unclear about. You'd think there be some
> standard supfile template to upgrade your OS.

What, like /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile?  Although
there's a bit of a twist to how it works: the standard-supfile
installed on your system will have the CVS tag inside it appropriate
to the branch you have installed.  So, on a 4.9-STABLE it contains:

    *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4

whilst on 4.9-RELEASE-pX it contains:

    *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_9

and on 5.2.1-RELEASE-p1 it contains:

    *default release=cvs tag=.

Oh well.  Can't win them all: I'd expect tag=. to be correct for
5-CURRENT, and for 5.2.1-RELEASE-p1 to have tag=RELENG_5_2

What ever, you can download the appropriate supfile from the CVS
repository, and it's fairly obvious how to modify the file for other
branches:

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile?rev=1.17.2.6&content-type=text/plain&only_with_tag=RELENG_4

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile?rev=1.17.2.6.6.1&content-type=text/plain&only_with_tag=RELENG_4_9
    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile?rev=1.22&content-type=text/plain&only_with_tag=RELENG_5_2