FreeBsd and SCO

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Sat Mar 6 17:28:11 PST 2004

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 15:34:52 -0800, Chuck McManis <cmcmanis at mcmanis.com>
wrote:

> At 03:06 PM 3/6/2004, Raymond Wiegand wrote:
>> Hi
>>  I have a question for you ? I purchased FreeBSD from COMP USA and was
>> wondering that seeing that SCO is going after Linux Users will they be
>> going after BSD user next or is BSD not at all based on their kernal or
>> what every they claim is theirs property.
>>
>>    I would like to know before i switch all my system over (2) to Unix

> Unlike the GPL, the BSD license has already been litigated (see AT&T vs
> The Regents), there is quite a bit of clarity around the legality of the
> BSD source.

SCO does not at present have a "live" claim in either of its lawsuits (vs.
IBM or Autozone) that Linux code was directly copied from source to which
SCO owns the rights.  There was such a claim in the IBM lawsuit, but it
has been dropped.  You will also note that these "Linux users" are major
corporations.  Unless you are the heir to a sizable fortune, I wouldn't
worry about SCO wasting the time to sue you.

Jud