FreeBsd and SCO

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Sat Mar 6 15:41:13 PST 2004

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004, David Benfell wrote:
>On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 23:06:32 +0000, Raymond Wiegand wrote:
>
>>   I have a question for you ? I purchased FreeBSD from COMP USA and was
>> wondering that seeing that SCO is going after Linux Users will they be going
>> after BSD user next or is BSD not at all based on their kernal or what every
>> they claim is theirs property.
>>
>>     I would like to know before i switch all my system over (2) to Unix
>
>Who knows?  SCO's claims against Linux have no merit, so lack
>of merit won't stop them.
>
>But a couple of other things more likely will: First, the BSD
>community is much smaller potatoes.  Much less appealing.
>Second, SCO is unlikely to survive its attack on Linux.  The
>legal bills alone are ruinous.

That depends on how long Microsoft is willing to pump money into SCO to
keep this going.  See the links here:

	http://opensource.org/weblog/2004/03/04#halloweenxupdate

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``Liberals love to say things like, 'We're just asking everyone to pay
their fair share.' But government is not about asking. It is about telling.
The difference is fundamental. It is the difference between making love and
being raped, between working for a living and being a slave.''
    Dr. Thomas Sowell, Forbes, July 1994