New Users Learning FreeBSD

JJB Barbish3 at adelphia.net
Sat Mar 6 13:26:47 PST 2004

There will all ways to the party line drawn between the developers
and the users. Developers want total freedom about how to install
and config while the users wany automated no question asked install.
If FBSD was an commercial product, the developers world would never
be seen by the customers. There is no question that the sysinstall
process is not new-be friendly. Heck it's not even user friendly to
experienced users. FBSD all ready has an division point called the
development code branch for the developers and the stable code
branch for the user community. The stable branch can be considered
akin to an commercial product release version. The problem is the
development total freedom install method is not really appropriate
to the technical knowledge level of the general user community and
this division between communities has always gone in favor of the
developers.  This will never change as long as developers are in
control for it's their nature to be blind to the needs of the users
of the finished results of their labor. This is even evident in the
tone and depth of the documentation of the man pages and the
handbook. Every thing is geared to the documentation reference needs
of the developer and technical knowledgeable user. There really is
no provisions for the people new to FBSD. They are kind of just left
on the sidelines and have to dig through a lot of old outdated
public internet how-to's, man pages which are so cryptic they are
next to useless, and the handbook which is written in an style that
is very hard to comprehend, the poor new user has to learn by trial
and error. We can all see that this situation is almost designed on
purpose to make the new user pay their dues before they can join the
FBSD developers club. All this does is inhibits the growth that FBSD
could really experience. An good compromise which services the wants
and needs of both communities would be to add an newbe user-friendly
install process on stable branch only. A step-by-step instructional
install guide that explains how the system is designed to be used
would go a very long way to speeding up the learning process of the
newbe and go an long way to removing the frustration that we see
voiced all the time in this questions list.

Just my general observation's and comments based on what I have seen
and read in the list.