ssh disconnecting [WAS: Getting Cut-Off]

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Sat Mar 6 07:44:20 PST 2004

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 19:26, Wayne Sierke wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 16:45, Rishi Chopra wrote:
> > I have two machines in my loft (a FreeBSD server and a Win2k box)
> > connected via CAT5 crossover cable.
> >
> > I connect to the FreeBSD machine via SSH, and use secure file transfer
> > to upload/download from the machine.
> >
> > In the last week, the FreeBSD machine has dropped my connection on 3
> > seperate occasions.  I'll queue up some work and leave the machine
> > unattended, only to return at a later time and find that the connection
> > has been closed.
> >
> > No one else has physical access to the area when this occurs; can anyone
> > tell me what's going on or what I need to do in order to keep from being
> > disconnected in the future?
> >
> > Unfortunately the file transfer client portion of SSH Secure Shell is
> > very poor at resuming queued work, so this is starting to cause me an
> > inconvinience.
>
> I've been having a similar problem, afaict since I moved my server to
> 5.2-RELEASE from 4.8-RELEASE and to a EPIA 5000 board (from a Pentium
> system).
>
> I've not had a disconnection while I've been actively using the
> connection but most connections that are left idle get disconnected
> after a while (seems to be around 10 to 15 minutes). This happens
> consistently at the moment from my development system which can be
> running any of 5.2-RELEASE, Windows 98SE or Windows 2000 and has been
> seen to occur on another couple of systems. My suspicions currently lie
> with the on-board network adapter on the EPIA board using the vr driver
> but I have no direct evidence to support it, other than I don't recall
> ever seeing it with my old server.

We have installed 15 EPIA systems and in a few months have had 3 mother
boards replaced for problems with the on board vr interface.

A bit of a search reveals a large number of reported problems from most
version of BSD, Linux and even the odd MS user. Some have added a PCI NIC.
Others swear they have no problems and that their systems are solid.

There seems to be some hint that interference from the power supply gets into
and upsets the interface a few months down the track when the ESR of the
power supply capacitors increases.

Malcolm