New Users Learning FreeBSD

Chuck McManis cmcmanis at mcmanis.com
Fri Mar 5 21:11:10 PST 2004

At 12:42 PM 3/6/2004, Joshua Lokken wrote:
>It doesn't seem like a splash screen can really tell you
>much about the quality of a piece of software or an OS.

No it can't, and for end users its all they care about. Which is "how long
before I can start using this thing?"

To put it in perspective, the best way to start USING FreeBSD as opposed to
acquiring it to develop with, is probably to by an Apple machine with OS-X
installed. All the integration is handled for you. It pains me that there
isn't an organization of Apple's caliber providing a complete FreeBSD
workstation product that I could load on any machine with a simple install.

--Chuck