filesystem

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Mar 5 07:31:05 PST 2004

> Hi, I can't seem to edit or create files under any other directory other than /usr, /var, or /home (and there respective subdirectories) even as root.  i get the error: filesystem full.
>
> I have an 80 gig HD and a fresh install of FreeBSD, so i know my hd is not full. perhaps this has something to do with the partitioning scheme.  I am new to FreeBSD, but I have been a linux user for some time, so i am basically familiar with commands.
>
> I cannot create a new user(tried kuser/ adduser and sysinstall util)
> I cannot edit any system files under /etc.
> I cannot create any new directories under / and copy anything into them.
> in fact, I cannot do anything unless it entails writing to /usr, /var or /home.

Well, you may have a big enough disk, but one of your file systems is
not big enough or has too much garbage in it.  The most likely one
is the root file system (/).

First use df(1)  to check your mounted disk file systems
  df -k        or  df -H    if you prefer

Then cd to the overrun filesystem (probably /) and use du(1) to
track down what is overfilling it.
Example:
  cd /
  du -sk *
    find three xxx.core files and /tmp  using up most of the space
  rm *.core
  mkdir /home/ofl.tmp        (for offload tmp)
  cd /tmp
  rm -r *
  cd /
  ln -s /home/ofl.tmp /tmp

Now you should have lots of room in /

Alternatively, some people use /var/tmp for their /tmp or put it
wherever they have lots of space.  I create a separate file system for it.
That way it is independant of other file systems having to be mounted
if I need scratch space while in single user mode.

If it isn't core files and /tmp, then you might have to pursue the
du checks a little farther down the directory trees.  Remember that
when you are in /, all the other file systems are rooted their.  You
only need investigate things that are not in the other file systems.

////jerry