Jail setup

Chris Meyers chris at hddesign.com
Fri Mar 5 07:27:22 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 00:57, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> ...cut...
> > Things seem to be fine. I can see the jailed environment and everything
> > looks fine. I log out and then try to set up the last configuations so I
> > can ssh in and run sendmail. In the non-jail /etc/rc.conf I added the
> > following lines:
> >
> > ifconfig_fxp0_alias0="10.0.0.203 netmask 255.255.255.0"
>
> This is wrong. The jail can only have one IP so netmask has to be 0xffffffff
> (255.255.255.255)
> Do you have something like this on the host?
> fconfig_fxp0="inet 10.0.0.202  netmask 0xffffff00"     #host
> ifconfig_fxp_alias0="inet 10.0.0.203 netmask 0xffffffff"    #jail 1
...cut again...

> Change the IP like I wrote above and everything should be fine.
>
> -Harry

This all worked (thank you Harry), but now I have a slightly different
problem. I can ssh to the jail, but I get the following message:

Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor). Thus no job control in
this shell. You can use the 'fetch' command to retrieve files over ftp
or http.
fetch http://www.freebsd.org/index.html
will download the front page of the FreeBSD web site.

I figured this had something to do with my MAKEDEV problem so after
re-reading the jail manpage (thanks albi) I found the following:

mount_devfs devfs /usr/jail/dev

Now I can ssh to the 10.0.0.203 address without problem. This is OK, but
not ideal. I am wondering if there is something I need to do to set up
the devfs in the jail permanantly, or do I have to run the mount_devfs
command every time I start the jail. I was planning on writing a
/usr/local/etc/rc.d shell script to start the jail on boot up anyway, so
adding the mount command to that isn't a big deal, I was just wondering
if there was another way.

Thanks,
Chris