apache log files rotation

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.org
Fri Mar 5 06:35:50 PST 2004

Dave McCammon wrote:
> --- fbsd_user <fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com> wrote:
>>Can apache logs be rotated by /etc/newsyslog.conf?
>>If not, how is it normally done?

> Here is the relevent portion of my newsyslog.conf
>
> /var/log/httpd-access.log     640  14    *    $D0   Z
>  /var/run/httpd.pid
> /var/log/httpd-error.log      640  14    *    $D0   Z
>  /var/run/httpd.pid
>
> "man newsyslog" for more info on the fields.

Just a hint in case you plan on running a web statistics program over
the access log: add 'B' to the flags column for 'httpd-access.log',
resulting in 'BZ'.  This will omit the 'logfile turned over due to ...'
lines generated by 'newsyslog', which the statistics program may
otherwise complain about.

    Uwe
--
Uwe Doering         |  EscapeBox - Managed On-Demand UNIX Servers
gemini at geminix.org  |  http://www.escapebox.net