mysql in a jail

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.org
Fri Mar 5 06:19:58 PST 2004

doug at safeport.com wrote:
> I have a system running four jails. MySQL is running in two of the jails and I
> am trying to add it to a 3rd jail. Starting the server gets the message:
>
>   040302 19:34:15  mysql started
>   040302 19:34:15  Can't start server : Bind on unix socket: Permission denied
>   040302 19:34:15  Do you already have another mysqld server running on socket:
>                    /tmp/mysql.sock ?
>   040302 19:34:15  Aborting
>   040302 19:34:15  /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown Complete
>   040302 19:34:15  mysqld ended
>
> The new jail was created by copying the file tree from a jail that had the
> desired configuration and then doing clean-up as required. In response to the
> error I tried configuring mysqld to use a different port and socket file. That
> did not fix the problem. I had forgotten the other two mysql's are using port
> 3306 and /tmp/mysql.sock.
> [...]

Are you sure that each jail runs on its own, unique IP address?  If not,
port binding conflicts are to be expected.  You cannot have multiple
MySQL daemons on the same IP address/port combination, regardless of
whether they run inside jails or not.

    Uwe
--
Uwe Doering         |  EscapeBox - Managed On-Demand UNIX Servers
gemini at geminix.org  |  http://www.escapebox.net