Followup on KDE 3.2 and 4-STABLE

Charles McManis cmcmanis at mcmanis.com
Thu Mar 4 17:35:20 PST 2004

Sorry if I was unclear, I consider a 'link' or a 'compile' to be "clean" when
there are no errors or warnings reported. Back in the day this was an
indication that the system and build environment were in sync with what you
were trying to do. So if I typed

ddp% g++ -c foo.cc
ddp% ld -o foo foo.o
ddp%./foo
That was considered a "clean compile and link." More often than not in the
open source world I see warnings telling me that my code is either insecure,
not portable, non-standard, or all of the above, and this is with code that I
did not write, but simply tried to recompile. (lots of that sort of chatter
when you're building KDE in ports for example)

It offends my sense of style but as most people cheerfully point out, "its
harmless."

--Chuck