Hang on boot with 4.9 and 5.2

chemica at mail.utexas.edu chemica at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 4 17:04:49 PST 2004

Quoting Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org>:

> chemica at mail.utexas.edu writes:
>
> >          I am reinstalling FreeBSD after having destroyed my partition
> > like a moron. I encounter the following error after the probe of my
> > agp0:
> >
> > panic: pmap_mapdev: couldn't alloc kernel virtual memory
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> What is your hardware and what did you previously have installed?
>
> I had to install the floppy-boot kernel on my laptop (as a bootstrap
> stage) to avoid the AGP probe.  I was then able to build a new kernel
> without AGP.

My chipset is the AMD 760MPX and the video card is a Radeon 9700Pro. The
previous version was something in the 4.x branch. I think maybe 4.5. I have
been so busy with work lately that it wasn't much of a priority. There were no
problems with the 9700 in my previous installation, except lack of DRI
support.