kernel compile Q - How to get the speaker to work?

HOLLOW, CHRISTOPHER christopher.hollow at cgi.com
Thu Mar 4 00:59:31 PST 2004

> thanks for the answer, but when I had Windows
> installed, the speaker did work, I mean I was able to
> hear music, in addition to the beeps.

I've never heard of the case speaker making anything but beeps.  Either
yours is quite unique or you guys are talking about different speakers.
      I think you'll need to add support for the sound card that the
speaker is connected to.  Have a look at the case speaker.  I can't see
it being connected to a sound card but verify that.  If it (or another
case speaker) is in fact connected to sound card, add that device to the
kernel.

Don't know what card you have (and am haven't really followed the
thread) but have you tried soundblaster support?

device pcm

It's pretty common.  Worked on almost every FreeBSD desktop machine I've
ever had.  Hope this helps.

Christopher Hollow