1 processor vs. 2

Scott W wegster at mindcore.net
Wed Mar 3 17:58:55 PST 2004

Stefan Cars wrote:
> Ok. In this case the costs isn't really a problem, so both read and
> write will be faster with two disks in a RAID1 vs. three disks in a RAID
> 5 ? I've read that RAID5 would be faster in read ?

Short answer- it depends.  Bear in mind that there are some controllers
that will do RAID-0(striping) or RAID-1(mirroring)- these generally come
without cache on the controller, which is a huge hit for most cases,
especially if you enable write-back cache, which will return from the
write operation(s) once it's commited to _cache_ and not nescessarily to
disk.

If you're talking similar number of disks versus previous example of
simple 2 disk mirror versus 10-disk RAID-5, reads will become
signficantly faster due to the increased number of spindles in the
array.  I've done a fair amount of testing here- stripe size and cache
size can be important, but disk I/O is ultimately limited by a large
factor to the number of drive spindles in use.

In theory, and for a low amount of writes, the overhead for
RAID-1/mirroring is relatively low, but may increase under high load
with a large amount of data being written.

For the same number of _useable_ disks, RAID-5 is slower due to having
to calculate parity (read useable disks as using the same hard drives,
same capacity and specs, to wind up at the same amount of useable storage).

Scott