what is my real address?

Robert Storey y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net
Wed Mar 3 16:44:06 PST 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 13:13:40 +0000
Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> If you need to find your external address quickly, then ssh into this
> other machine and look at the variables that ssh sets in your
> environment -- I'm assuming that the box you ssh into is running some
> variety of OpenSSH. eg:
>
>     % env | grep SSH
>     SSH_CLIENT=81.2.69.219 1483 22
>     SSH_CONNECTION=81.2.69.219 1483 81.2.69.219 22
>     SSH_TTY=/dev/ttyp4
>     SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-6kfGMKtW/agent.30744

Thanks Matthew, that works superbly!

> Running an FTP server through a NAT'ing gateway is not going to be a
> pleasant experience, even if you were running the NAT gateway on a
> FreeBSD box where natd's punch_fw functionality would make things a
> great deal easier for you.  FTP is an ancient protocol not designed to
> cope with the realities of the modern internet.

Is it just that I will suffer poor performance, or is there some other
reason? I don't actually need hot performance, as this will be a very
low-traffic anonymous ftp server. It's more for experiment and education
than anything else. I'm trying to get the students to learn something
besides Windows.

> You'd be better off putting a reverse-proxy on your gateway machine.

Unfortunately, the gateway machine is running Windows NT. I would love
to switch it to FreeBSD, but the school owns it and is unlikely to give
their consent. They gave me one (very old) client machine on the network
and told me I can do what I like with that.

Thanks again for all your help.

regards,
Robert