1 processor vs. 2

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 08:07:11 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 02:53:49PM +0100, Danny Pansters wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 March 2004 14:05, Stefan Cars wrote:
> > Dual Xeon, 2.4 GHZ with 2GB of RAM or Xeon 3.0 GHZ with 2GB of RAM
> > and
> > RAID-1 on three disks or RAID-5 on three disks.
>
> RAID5 on 3 disks? That's useless.

3 disks is the minimum quantity for RAID5: it's certainly not ideal,
but it is by no means useless.  RAID5 setups can span 3 or more drives
-- I don't know what the practical limit is for Vinum or typical PC
raid controller cards, but the last time I used it (which I admit was
some years ago) Veritas Volumne Manager under Solaris made the strong
suggestion that no more than 7 drives be put into one RAID5 group.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way