Curious sound problem in 5.2.1-R

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Wed Mar 3 07:48:05 PST 2004

Hello,

I'd like to preface this with the statement that I'm a long-time 4.x user but brand-new
to the 5.x series.  Also, I'm not sure if this belongs on -CURRENT or not, but, here
goes...

I'm trying to get sound working on a Dell Dimension 4600 with the following audio device:

pcm0: <Intel ICH5 (82801EB)> port 0xedc0-0xedff,0xee00-0xeeff mem
0xfeb7f900-0xfeb7f9ff,0xfeb7fa00-0xfeb7fbff irq 3 at device 31.5 on pci0
pcm0: <Analog Devices AD1980 AC97 Codec>

This dmesg snippet comes from a FreesBIE 5.2 based bootable, live CD (which, BTW, I
think is awesome).  Running FreesBIE 5.2, I've got working sound and dsp devices in
/dev.

Then I installed 5.2.1-RELEASE on this same box, but, the audio device is not found, i.e.,
pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 31.5 (no driver attached).  Consequently, no sound.

So the question, how do I get the sound chip to be recognized?  Obviously, it's working
on a 5.2-based release from the FreesBIE folks.  I've googled, checked the handbook, and
looked at the kernel and /boot/ stuff but to no avail.

Many thanks for your help and a fine OS.

--
Regards,
Doug