Video Card Compatibility

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Wed Mar 3 05:29:30 PST 2004

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 07:06 am, bradford fligor wrote:
> Thank you to all of you for your recent help on FreeBSD.
>

>  While on vacation last week, I decided to buy an ATI Radeon 9000 video
> card thinking it's got to work.  Well I can't get it to work and can't find
> it on the list of cards during install.  In fact no ATI cards seem to be
> listed.  I should of brought that list with me.  Did I buy an incompatible
> card????
>
> I did notice on the video card config page one line had something like
> pci:1.0.1......   I know my card goes in an AGP slot not PCI.
>
> I was successful in installing Fedoro Linux yesterday!
>
> Thanks again for your great support!!
>
> Brad

Both FreeBSD and Linux use XFree86 for its X Window environment.  Video card
compatibility is handled by XFree86.  So, whether you're using Linux or one
or FreeBSD, it might be good to bookmark the following page:

http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/Status.html

For future purchases, it's also good to know that NVIDIA creates drivers for
both Linux and FreeBSD.  This has made my purchasing decisions very easy.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html