make world question on remote dedicated server

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Tue Mar 2 23:02:52 PST 2004

Mark Sams wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am thinking of getting a FreeBSD dedicated server
>that I will only have ssh access to.  What is the
>normal procedure of keeping up to date with kernel
>changes when you do not have console access?
>
>Is it possible to drop into single user mode remotely?

No.  At least, not from very far away, not
with only one box.

>Or is single user mode not necessary for make
>installkernel and the like? Does:
>
>buildworld / buildkernel / installkernel
>reboot then
>installworld / mergemaster
>
>work while connected through ssh?

Yes.  Quid pro quo ... this is more dangerous
if the server is relatively highly trafficked.  Also,
if the kernel won't boot, you're up a creek.

Hasn't happened to me ever, though.  Now, there
was that time when I forgot to tell BIOS to ignore
the fact that no keyboard was attached ..... :-)