Strange behaviour in assembly language program

jan.muenther at nruns.com jan.muenther at nruns.com
Tue Mar 2 16:53:01 PST 2004

Howdy,

> Here it is:
>
> .text
> .global _start
> _start:
> 	pushl	$0
> 	movl	$1, %eax
> 	int	$0x80
>
> I looked everywhere (Developer's handbook, Google, ...) to find the solution,
> but all resources I consulted tell me this is the right way to do it.
> This program, however, always exits with 1 regardless of the value I push.
>
> Please, can someone tell me that I made a really stupid error? I'm already
> pulling my hair out.

I sympathize. This has actually cost me quite some nerves as well, before
through some debugging and experimentation I found the answer:

The kernel expects the first argument 4 bytes below of the current stack
pointer, which means you have to put the int 80h call on its own label to
get it right.

I usually use nasm (hate AT&T syntax, sorry),
should translate easily, something like:

_start:
	push 0
	mov eax, 1
	call syscall