sendmail: Operation timed out with

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Mar 2 12:58:06 PST 2004

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 03:15:48PM -0500, Justin Brody wrote:

> I can't send any mail though.  The first entries in my mail queue:
> i22K75of000208 3 Tue Mar 2 15:07 <justin at aleph.none.org> (Deferred:
> Operation timed out with math.umd.edu.)  <brody at math.umd.edu>
> i22K6mof000198 5 Tue Mar 2 15:06 <justin at aleph.none.org> (Deferred:
> Operation timed out with math.umd.edu.)  <brody at math.umd.edu>

Hmmm... Is there any more information in /var/log/maillog?

What's the result of running:

    /usr/sbin/sendmail -q -v

-- or at least the beginning of the SMTP dialog up to attempting to
send the first message.

I note you're using 'none.org' as a domain name -- that used to be a
registered domain for a corporation in Korea (it's on 'client hold
pending delete' at the moment).  Seems to have disappeared from the
DNS though.  You'll find that sendmail works a lot better if you use
correctly registered domain names -- although it should cope without.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way