UDMA error

Jonathan Arnold jdarnold at buddydog.org
Tue Mar 2 06:19:31 PST 2004

RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:
> I run FreeBSD 4.9 and keep getting this message in my dmesg both the
> cable and the drive are cable of UDMA 100 at least and the board is a
> newer Intel 865 chip set.  Do i have to configure something in my kernel
> or what??
>
> ad0: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or device
> ad0: 38204MB <SAMSUNG SP0411N> [77622/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
> acd0: CD-RW <HL-DT-ST GCE-8525B> at ata1-master PIO4
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

We were talking about this very thing not too long ago on this list.
Some have claimed this can happen if you:

a] Plug the cable in backwards - ie., the end with the single plug
should go into the motherboard and the end that has the two plugs
closer together should go into the drives.

b] Plug the wrong one of the two that are closer together into the
driver.

So I'd say try pulling out the cable and plugging it back in in a
different way.

Another thing to be sure of is that you have the UDMA 100 cable;
ie, one end should have a blue connector and that end should go into
the motherboard.

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold at buddydog.org)
Daemon Dancing in the Dark, a FreeBSD weblog: