what raid system should i purchase for freebsd ?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Mar 2 03:50:18 PST 2004

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 02:58:42PM +0100, ei02435 at student.estg.iplei.pt wrote:

> can any one tell me what raid system can y purchase to have a garantee that
> freebsd will recognize im ?

Assuming you mean hardware RAID controllers and a standard IA32 machine:

> i want to use RAID 1 (mirror)  system with 2 hard disks .

Depending on which version of FreeBSD you want to run, take a look at:

    http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.9R/hardware-i386.html#AEN33

or

    http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.2.1R/hardware-i386.html#AEN65

and look at the man pages linked from those documents for more
detailed lists of precisely what models are known to work.  Your
vendor will be able to tell you what RAID cards they use -- systems by
popular suppliers like Dell and Compaq are generally well supported.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way